Tuesday, July 12, 2011

3-1-2010




"Live in the present, to enjoy what you have. There are always stumbling blocks in life, or 'brick walls' that you run into. Your task is not to complain about them, but to find ways over, around or through them”.


Greetings,
I have listed below the information that will be shared with students and staff on Monday, March 1st updating them on my progress since being diagnosed with cancer 1 year ago. Please continue to accept our family’s sincere thanks for all your supportive comments, kind acts and prayers!


This has been an emotional weekend for me, and I thought it best to provide an update to all of you as to how things have been going for me as I celebrated my birthday as well as my one year anniversary of being diagnosed with cancer last Friday, February 26.  There have certainly been some tears over that time, and I have to say that the “tear ducts” were working well again this weekend, but I also must say they were “tears of joy” as I celebrated life and all it has to offer with all of you.  Each and every one of you has played a special part in that for me.  I vividly recall reading an announcement to you this same day last spring announcing that I had just been diagnosed and that I would need to take a leave of absence to deal with some rigorous treatments to beat my opponent.  Your outpouring of love and support carried me through some tough times, and continues to do so now.  I am happy to report that I remain cancer free following some recent testing in Iowa City, and that I am doing regular “maintenance” checks with my team of doctors in Iowa City to monitor things and deal with some treatment side effects.  My family and I are excited about that news.  As always, I continue to read and attempt to learn and make sense of things.  Recently, I had a very good friend recommend a book called The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.  It is a story of a college instructor who had just been diagnosed with an aggressive form of pancreatic cancer and was given three-six months to live.  He developed a “Last Lecture” designed to tell his story to his three young children, the oldest of which was only 5.  His concern was they would not remember him after his passing and he wanted to share what he felt were some of life’s important lessons.  I have viewed the lecture on you tube and it is quite powerful, and not surprisingly, I have connected with Randy and his story.  Our journeys have many things in common. I will be reading his book as well, but wanted to share what I felt was his most important message to us all having viewed his “Last” lecture.


Randy’s key message is to live in the present, to enjoy what you have. There are always stumbling blocks in life, or “brick walls” that you run into. “Your task is not to complain about them, but to find ways over, around or through them”. Randy shares that “brick walls” are only there to “show how badly we want something” and they serve to “keep those away who aren’t truly committed to achieving their goals”. Show your commitment to your dreams and goals. Don't waste your time watching repeats of TV shows when your life-long dream is to develop virtual reality games, become a teacher, doctor, carpenter or even run your own business. Spend your time researching, planning and heading towards that goal. Don't dismiss your goals while you spend your extra hours playing video games. Map out a plan and work toward your goals.  You would be very surprised at how many goals are actually within reach if you focus on them.  And oh yes, there will probably be some failures along the way, but just remember; failure equips us to value learning over the “appearance of smartness”, and to relish challenge and effort while using those errors as routes to mastery. 


Over the past year, I have learned that life is truly an adventure.  As a good friend shared with me this morning, “An abundant life is full of adventure, and it may involve some risks and danger.  Don’t get “stuck” and be content to stay put… “Step out and enjoy the adventure”. 


As I celebrated this weekend, I couldn’t think of a better way to do that than to stand and watch all 162 of you who were involved in this year’s Holmes Spring Show.  You and your directors have worked so hard to put on such a great show, and I can’t begin to tell you how proud I am of all of you.  For me, that was an adventure worth remembering!  You all have been a blessing to me throughout this entire “contest” and I will continue to serve you and your needs helping each of you reach your individual dreams and goals. Please know I am always available to assist you in any way I can. I truly look forward to many more adventures with all of you!
Love all of you!
Sincerely,
Mr. Welter


I have also listed the link to Randy Pausch’s “Last Lecture” below for those who may be interested in viewing it.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

No comments:

Post a Comment