Tuesday, July 12, 2011

3-27-2009

"...To be afraid offers a “priceless education”, and it makes you know more about yourself and your priorities than most people. Keep your priorities in order and continue to ask more of yourself each day as a person as you take one day at a time."  Never Give up!"


The second inning began Monday morning, March 23rd with the visiting team coming to bat carrying a power packed line-up.  Monday started with a 3 hour chemo session that extended into 6 hours as they had to slow down my assimilation of the drugs.  Some pretty potent stuff, including platinum. (Might be used for a Gold Glove award later in the game)… Guess if my 401 K goes bust, I can harvest myself out for retirement!  I did OK Monday, but had some real nausea issues Tuesday and Wednesday.  Again, the Visiting Team loaded the bases, and the “chemo demons” were out to get me Tuesday night, but failed to score as the Home Team training staff provided some prescriptions to keep the visitors from crossing the plate!  I've been receiving radiation every day, and it seems to be annoying the Visitors “dugout” in my throat.  I will have treatment # 5 today.  My taste buds are “toast”, and I'm getting a sore throat.  Anyway, I'm getting through this knowing that if the Home team is feeling this way, the Visitors are getting the worst end of it because they are on the road!!!!  Keeps me going!  Miss you guys!  Hold the fort down until I can return healthy, wealthy (with my platinum) and wiser.

PS.  I’ve been doing a lot of reading, and Lance Armstrong makes some great observations about his fight with cancer that sure are “hitting home” with me in his book  It’s Not About the Bike, My Journey Back to Life.  I have met a lot of people here this week suffering far greater than I am, and I agree with him that this disease does not discriminate, or listen to the odds--it can decimate a strong person with a wonderful attitude, while it somehow miraculously spares a weaker person who is resigned to failure.  As I sit in my treatments, I have observed it is not about worthiness, as I am no more or less valuable than the person sitting next to me in the chemo center.  It is, as Armstrong says, the fact that you are staring into a mystery about your future that makes this significant.  To be afraid offers a “priceless education”, and it makes you know more about yourself and your priorities than most people. Keep your priorities in order and continue to ask more of your self each day as a person as you take one day at a time!
Love you all!
The score at the end of two full innings of play is: Home Team 2, Visitor 0!
Love each and every one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment