Tuesday, July 12, 2011

5-1-2009






I plan to “Go the Distance” in this game as both life and baseball are “precious as diamonds” and I want to be sure THE LAST MAN ON THE VISITING TEAM IS OUT!

The 7th inning started off as always with my lab work at the University of Iowa Cancer Center.  I had a good conference with my doctors Monday morning. I received the news from my doctors on Monday that today was my last chemo day (cutting treatment there by one given the progress I have made with the shrinking of my tumors).  I still have 7 radiations left and had a “camera tour” of my neck and throat with Dr. Anderson. It was like a clip from “Journey to the Center of the Body” watching it on a big screen as she was snapping photos inside my throat and neck. She is very pleased with my progress, noting my tonsils, voice box and tongue are now "distinguishable", (w/o tumors!) with what appears to be only dead tissue and scar tissue remaining where the tumors were.  The radiation and chemo are designed to kill off any new "baby cells" that may mutate from the original cancer, but also kills off my white cells which help with resistance. That was very encouraging!  I just have to be careful not to get infected as that could put me in “critical” with something as simple as a common cold.  I also need to "tough out" the side effects of chemo and radiation.  The weekend at home went very well, as we celebrated two major events, John and Shannon’s engagement and upcoming marriage and Sarah’s Confirmation.  I'm tired, but in a very good way!  I also had another bad reaction to the chemo on Monday, but seem to get through the side effects by week’s end, and I’m glad to be done with that part of the treatment process.  Swallowing and talking still are an issue along with radiation burns to my neck and throat area, and I’m down about 45 lbs, so I have to monitor calories and hydration carefully.  All part of the game plan to win this contest! 


Also a special thanks to all of you at Holmes, students, staff and “quilters” as Sarah and John delivered my “personalized quilt” from all of you on Friday evening.  Reading the names and comments on each of your blocks has lifted my spirits immensely!  Even though I am physically drained, my spirits remain high because of the continued prayers, warm thoughts and kind hearted acts directed toward me and my family.  We all express our thanks and love to you for that!


I have one week of treatments left before earning a break to begin my recuperation from the drain it has taken from me. That will run 4-6 weeks depending on how my body recovers and the lab results that come back.  I am ever optimistic that things will work out according to God’s plan for me.  The hardest part of that time will be staying away from people to avoid possible infections…But I’ll get through that as well. 


I have been continuing my reading this week and found a quote in Shoeless Joe, a novel by W.P. Kinsella that sums up my feeling about baseball and life… (You may remember the movie this book inspired called “Field of Dreams”)  It goes like this:
"Baseball is the most perfect of games, solid, true, pure and precious as diamonds. If only life were so simple. Within the baselines anything can happen. Tides can reverse; oceans can open. That's why they say, "the game is never over until the last man is out." Colors can change, lives can alter, and anything is possible in this gentle, flawless, loving game." 
— W.P. Kinsella (Shoeless Joe)



I plan to “Go the Distance” in this game as both life and baseball are “precious as diamonds” and I want to be sure THE LAST MAN ON THE VISITING TEAM IS OUT!
The score after 7 complete innings of play is Home Team 7, Visitors 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment