Tuesday, July 12, 2011

3-2-2009

It is with a heavy heart I share this message...

As has happened many times over my ten years in this building, we have always pulled together when troubled times facing students or staff comes our way.  Often, our human desires of "wanting to know" and "wanting to share" can interfere with an individual's right to privacy.  I have always respected individual's rights to privacy, and allow each person the opportunity to share as much, or as little as they choose to share.  Each situation is always unique, and a good place to start so that misinformation does not begin circulating is with the facts.  Given that, I choose to share the following information with you this morning.

It is with a heavy heart I share this message.  I returned late last Tuesday from Iowa City with my wife Tricia.  Following several weeks of testing, I have been diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma, a form of small cell cancer.  The doctors feel I am currently in Stage 3, and have shared that this form of cancer has a 60 % survival rate. We will determine the extent of that with further testing this week. I am now working with a Medical Team in Iowa City to prepare a course of treatment which will last 7-8 weeks and will report there to begin testing for my regimen of treatment on Tuesday, March 3.  I will have to remain in Iowa City throughout the treatment period with the possibility of coming home on weekends if I am up to it. The recovery period may take an additional 8 weeks if things go well.  My prayers are that they will.  I am a survivor, and I have a loving family, friends, student body and staff for support. I also have faith that God has a plan for me, and I am placing myself in His hands.  Being a baseball guy, that 60 % survival rate would translate into a .600 batting average...so I'll take those odds and begin the fight!  As I leave to begin the battle, I'd ask a favor from each of you.  I'd ask that you pull together as you always have to work with each other to make this year finish out in a positive way.  In my absence, Mr. Dreyer, former principal at CFHS has agreed to step in to assist Mr. Argotsinger with managing the building.  Please give them your utmost respect and cooperation.  I will promise you that I will fight to achieve a victory over this disease so that I can continue to fulfill my life's goal of seeing each and every one of you become successful in life.  Always remember, I love each of you and will always do what I can to help you become the best person you can be. My hope is that we can make today a good, productive day.  My wish is that we all take one day at a time, making the most of our individual talents and gifts knowing that when we lay our heads on our pillows at night, we will rest well because we have used up all our potential for that day making a positive difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment