Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sunday, February 13, 2011


Reflections From the Home Team Sunday, February 13, 2011


"...both these people made me realize yet again how important our friends and loved ones are in helping summon the strength and courage to "fight the battle" against this disease.  I feel so fortunate to have such a "team" in my dugout!" 


Greetings,
I wanted to update you all as my two year anniversary of being diagnosed with cancer approaches.   I have spent considerable time in Iowa City this past week working through some "concerns" with my team of doctors.  Lots to think and pray about.  I have been working through an infection in my system and my labs have been "irregular" since December's check ups.  My white cell count is extremely low, and Dr. Claman, my oncologist, discussed a number of reasons as to why that may be.  His concern is that the "Visiting Team" may be back attacking my white blood cells.  He plans to have me back in Iowa City on Wednesday, February 23rd to do another series of labs to recheck my white cell count and do a bone marrow biopsy (where the white cells are produced) to determine if cancer has returned. We are hopeful there may be another explanation.  The journey has been like a roller coaster, with many ups and downs, but I know there is a plan, and I'm preparing myself physically, emotionally and  spiritually if I have to go "extra-innings" with the "Visiting Team".  How ironic that this is happening as pitchers and catchers report for spring training...the bullpen is in place, ready to go if needed.  


I often think of Randy Pausch's comment in his book The Last Lecture and keep telling myself that "no matter what tomorrow brings, today is a wonderful day", and I need to keep on enjoying it...  sometimes easier said than done, but I also often reflect on one of my favorite verses; 2 Corinthians 5:17... "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."  Christ is always with us and we can always look forward to the "new" that is to come.  I plan to make that two year anniversary a wonderful day by celebrating with those who have surrounded me with love and support over these past two years! 

As I was sitting in Iowa City,  thinking about my journey this past week, God walked two people into my life as I was waiting in the cancer treatment center... Sitting to my right was a lovely young mother who was surrounded by her kids, husband and parents.  We struck up a conversation  and I learned  she had just recently had her leg amputated as a result of cancer.  I was amazed at how upbeat and positive she was.  We began talking about how those who surround us such as friends and family help make the journey bearable.  Her positive attitude and  smile given her difficult circumstance made my concerns dwindle, and I shared with her how much I admired her courage in the battle.  To my left was an inmate sitting in his orange jumpsuit, handcuffed with shackles on his ankles who had been  listening to our conversation.  He looked at me after I finished visiting with the young mother and I greeted him as well.  I asked how he was doing,  and he shared "I ain't got no one except this deputy".  He said he had liver cancer and his survival prospects were not good.  He shared that he lost all those who cared for him long ago due to his drug and alcohol issues as he used and abused those who loved and cared about him to support his habits. He said there is no doubt that his lifestyle led to him developing cancer as well.  He then said the "infamous" line I often here from former athletes and students... "If I could only do it over".  At that point I teared up a bit which has happened all too often lately, and told him "it's never too late to start over".  I shared  2 Corinthians 5:17 with him and he shared he wasn't much into the Bible, but he sure wished he had someone in his life who could give him some of the love and support the young mother and I had been talking about as we faced our battles with cancer.  I then shared with him that there was someone who cared about him, and all it took was him accepting His love and caring. I invited him to open a Bible and find out how much He really does care.  The deputy then wheeled him into treatment and winked at me, saying he would be sure he provided him with a Bible...



Both these people made me realize yet again how important our friends and loved ones are in helping summon the strength and courage to "fight the battle" against this disease.  I feel so fortunate to have such a "team" in my dugout!  I will keep you updated as I know more and appreciate your prayers in the meantime. As Colossians 1:9 says; " For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives." 

No comments:

Post a Comment