Tuesday, July 12, 2011


3-27-2010



"May you and your families have a blessed Easter, and please know that my family and I appreciate all you have done to help us have the opportunity to celebrate yet another Easter season together!"




I wanted to update you all as to my progress over the past few weeks.  I had some surgery a couple weeks ago to deal with some treatment side effects and am happy to share that I still remain cancer free following a series of tests in Iowa City.  We are all excited about that news!  I have had a consultation with my doctors in Iowa City and have been given a treatment plan that will involve Hyperbaric Oxygen treatments to help assist healing some of the damage done in my neck and throat from radiation.  That will involve 30 "dive tank" treatments which I plan to begin once school is out this summer. My doctors feel the treatments will give me the best opportunity for long term healing benefits.  I will need to "clear" my next PET scan however in May before beginning as the oxygen treatments can actually stimulate cancer cell growth if any cancer cells are still present.  I look forward to moving ahead with that plan!


I also wanted to share that as part of our Lenten theme at my Church, my pastor has been focusing on the topic "The Way of Anticipation", and essentially focusing on a message of comfort and hope despite all the things that each of us may face daily to the contrary.  He asked several weeks ago if I'd share my "story" as part of that theme, and after praying for strength and guidance, I accepted his offer.  I presented my "journey" this past year at our three services last Sunday, and my intent was to share a message of hope and strength for those who may be facing similar battles with health issues such as cancer. I wanted to share how important all of you have been in my journey as you have provided me the strength and courage I needed to "fight the fight".  Those precious connections with all of you have been a significant factor in my recovery over the past year.  That is part of the message of hope I wanted to communicate.  I was literally "stunned" by the number of people in the congregation who have faced cancer either themselves or with a loved one when asked at each service. I was also "overwhelmed" by the response from many in the congregation who have communicated with me since last Sunday.  Many have requested a copy of the message, as well as an opportunity to visit about their experiences.  I have decided after prayerful consideration to have last Sunday's message posted on YouTube for anyone to reference who may choose to do so. My hope is that it will encourage them to take the opportunity to be open about their struggles and seek out their friends as a means of support to provide them hope and comfort as well.   I can't thank all of you enough for the prayers, love, support and strength you have provided both me and my family during this difficult time and hope that in this Easter season, we all keep in mind that He suffered, died and has risen for each one of us!  I have placed the links to my message below.  I have titled it: Reflections from the "Home Team"... Go the Distance.  May you and your families have a blessed Easter, and please know that my family and I appreciate all you have done to help us have the opportunity to celebrate yet another Easter season together!


Link to YouTube: Reflections from the "Home Team"... Go the Distance
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48dqzhPah4
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP2ZapPoWtY
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaJ71v_lQ8

No comments:

Post a Comment