Tuesday, July 12, 2011

5-8-2009




"From an emotional standpoint, I couldn’t have done it without all of you!  That includes family, friends, students and staff.  My family and I are most appreciative of the comforting words, kind acts and daily prayers offered for us throughout this process." 


The 8th inning started off as always with my lab work at the University of Iowa Cancer Center.  I had a good conference with my doctors Monday morning. I received the news from my doctors on Monday that I would be finishing my radiation treatments on Friday, May 8th.  Dr. Anderson feels
very good about my progress so far, and I do as well despite the fact I am physically exhausted and worn down.  The side effects of chemo and radiation are pretty dramatic, and it will take some time to recover.  I have continued to do my best to “work out” daily despite feeling pretty exhausted and the doctors feel that will be a plus in my recovery.  I was given the “superstar award” by my radiation nurses for having “washboard abs” and not needing assistance in getting off the radiation table each day… We had a good laugh as I’ve not had “wash board abs” since being born premature at 4lbs, 11 ounces!  I will be released to return home to begin my recuperation period on Friday, May 8 and I look forward to being home!  I will not have a final PET scan until roughly 3 months from now as the radiation and chemo continues to work in the body killing any cells that may be left or mutating.  That scan will then determine if I am cancer free.  Patience is the key word.  In the mean time I will be doing regular checks in Iowa City with lab work to determine my progress.  It has been a week of ups and downs here.  Three of my friends who are also guests here at the Hope Lodge received their “terminal news” this week, sharing that their treatments were not being effective and they were given the options of continuing treatments or going home to live out their time.  All three are fighters, and chose to continue the battle.  We talked and prayed together and hopefully, they can fight through the battle as well staying positive through the process. As we talked and prayed, it brought one of my favorite Lance Armstrong quotes to mind, especially after my visit with little Taylor in the Pharmacy… It goes like this:
  “If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like Hell.”
We all chose the latter, and added the spiritual and physical parts of the game plan as well. From an emotional standpoint, I couldn’t have done it without all of you!  That includes family, friends, students and staff.  My family and I are most appreciative of the comforting words, kind acts and daily prayers offered for us throughout this process.  It will now be my task to mend and prepare for my return to serve each and every one of you in helping you become the best you can be each and every day.  I look forward to that, but will need to stay focused and patient over the next few months as I go through this process.  I will be taking an “update leave” for a while as I move forward following the 8th inning of this contest… I will post you following the “game delay” when I get the results back from my PET scan toward summer’s end.  My hope and prayer is to be cancer free and back in the saddle at Holmes Junior High again.  Keep my family and me in your thoughts and prayers as we move ahead and know that I continue to love each and every one of you!  You have been a blessing to me throughout this entire “contest” and as I stated earlier, I plan to “Go the Distance” by tossing a nine inning shutout at the Visiting Team!


The score after 8 complete innings of play is Home Team 8, Visitors 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment