Tuesday, July 12, 2011

6-3-2009




"I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come.  Always turn a negative into a positive!" 


My last update to you was on May 8th as I was finishing up with radiation and chemotherapy treatments in Iowa City and we were in the 8th inning of this contest.  I was released from The University of Iowa Hospitals and Hope Lodge on Friday, May 8th and have been at home recuperating since that time.  I have had lots of questions as to how I am feeling, so I thought it best to give you a final update before you head home for summer break.  I have continued to lose weight since my release and am now down 65 lbs. from the weight I started treatments at.  My doctors report that the weight loss is a normal part of the treatment process, however, I have lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and it has affected my strength and stamina.  My throat continues to be a concern as I still have difficulty swallowing and speaking, but hope to make further progress as time goes on.  I had an appointment with my Oncologist, Dr. Claman on Monday and my lab work showed that my blood counts have changed some since finishing treatments and some side effects of the treatments will need to be addressed.  I will be working with my doctors over the next couple of months to make those adjustments.  As I mentioned in an earlier update, the tumors in my throat have shrunk, however there still appears to be a soft tissue mass in my throat.  Our hope is that the radiation and chemo will continue to work on that mass and eliminate it.  If not, I may need to have some surgery done to eliminate it.  Please keep me and my family in your prayers as we determine next steps.  As of this time, I plan to return to work this summer as my energy and stamina allow so that I can be fully operational to return to Holmes in the fall!  I have a number of appointments over the summer with the big one being my PET scan the first week in August to determine if treatments have been successful in helping me become cancer free.  I am positively approaching that date and need you to know that I could not have successfully made it this far without all of your notes, letters, cards and kind acts.  As I reflect on the past 12 weeks, I want to share how sometimes you don’t know how much something means to you until you don’t have it… I feel that way about Holmes Junior High and all of you there!  I have really missed you, but have carried each of you close to my heart through your comments, kind acts and prayers.  I wish you all a fun and relaxing summer, and look forward to seeing you all again in the fall as we work together to allow you each to be the most successful person you can be!  As I continue to read, I am impressed by a quote by Michael Jordan who shared: "I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come.  Always turn a negative into a positive!"  That is my plan, and I’m hoping it is yours too as you head into summer and prepare for a positive year next starting next fall!  The score after 8 innings of play remains Home Team 8, Visitor 0! 
Love each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment