Tuesday, July 12, 2011


4-24-2009


“Mr., when are they going to let you go back outside to play?” 

The week started off as always with my lab work at the University of Iowa Cancer Center.  The doctors draw blood to be sure that I am tolerating the treatments and they get a read on the progress I am making in my battle to win this fight.  This week, I was interested to see a number of interns coming through to visit with me before my team of doctors did.  I was starting to feel like a specimen in one of Mr. Duff’s science labs… I finally asked why I was getting so much attention and so many questions, and one of the interns replied we generally don’t see patients this far along in treatments without food pegs and pain meds and we are wondering what you are doing differently than the others.  I shared nothing more than doing what I’m told… “Religiously”.  I also shared Marcus Luttrel’s quote that “the body can take damn near anything; it’s the mind we have to train!” I did share with the doctors that if I was to be a “Case Study”, we could name it “How to stay “chilled” while being “grilled” with meat tenderizer!”  They didn’t think it would get published…  My labs show that my resistance is next to nothing at this time which is normal given the chemo and radiation.  I also had another bad reaction to the chemo on Monday, but seem to get through the side effects by week’s end.  Swallowing and talking still are an issue, and I’m down about 40 lbs, so I have to monitor calories and hydration carefully.  All part of the game plan to win this contest!  Speaking of winning this contest, Dr. Clayman feels good about the shrinking of the tumors in my neck.  He feels I am making good progress and getting better!  (Even though he says you may not feel like it).  That put a lift in my spirits!


Another thing that really gave me a lift was Tuesday, when I was at the hospital pharmacy picking up a prescription, a little guy named Taylor, I’d say about third grade, was waiting with his mom.  He too had cancer, fighting leukemia as I learned when we talked.  He was playing with a rubber baseball, and of course, that caught my attention.  We began to visit, and naturally, we began a game of toss with each other while waiting.  I had to demonstrate some of my “famous ball tricks” I used when playing pepper and he was quite amused by that. We were having fun when he point blank asked me; “Mr., when are they going to let you go back outside to play?”  I thought about it, and shared I  have about 3 weeks of treatments left and some recovery time after that, but then I get to go back out and play.  How about you?  He looked at his mom, and she said “about the same.”  So we both finished our game of toss and wished each other luck on our journeys.  That conversation put it in perspective for me.  I’m ready to win this thing so I can get back out and play!  Thanks Taylor! Also a special thanks to 
Mr. Carter and his Health class for all the notes and cards.  They really helped lift my spirits this week!


The score after 6 complete innings of play is Home Team 6, Visitors 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment