Tuesday, July 12, 2011

11-14-10

"...I needed that boost given some of the other 'stuff' going on, and I think it was my Guardian Angel whom I affectionately refer to as 'Angelina', awakening my heart yet again."

I traveled to see my team of doctors in Iowa City last week for my three month check ups and wanted to update you on my progress.  My lab tests still show no cancer cells, and I’m elated about that news.  I have been battling the ongoing side effects of radiation and chemo as well as the HBO treatments, but as one of the interns shared… “You’ve been through some ‘stuff’, but you always seem to find a way to adjust and move on.”  Thought that was a good analysis of my journey so far.  I’m also excited because my three month healing process from the dental implant posts I had embedded in August will be up on November 29th, and I have an appointment in Iowa City that day with Dr. Schneider to have my molar implants put in!  I will at long last feel like my old self again.  I’m trying to decide what my first “chewy meal” will involve… Still up for grabs, but I’m pretty sure it won’t include cottage cheese or applesauce!!  I’ve had some issues with my hearing following the treatments as the radiation; chemo and HBO did a number on my auditory system.  I’m working through that now and will make the adjustments I need to make with some hearing assistance.  Tricia has said I’ve had a problem with that for a number of years, but little did she know that was just “selective hearing” when it came to the “Honey Do” lists.  Now I may have a legitimate reason to “not hear” some of those requests, but it sure feels great to be able to tackle all those duties again.  School has kept me busy and has tested my stamina and endurance, but I’ve been able to keep pace.  I’ve continued my morning workouts which has helped me throughout the whole treatment process.  My next trip to Iowa City will be in February and Dr. Claman is keeping close tabs on my labs.  I will have another PET scan and we will evaluate progress again at that time. 

Given my journey the past year and a half, it certainly has given me an opportunity to do a lot of reflecting on a number of things.  That is why I like to read as it often gives me new perspectives on things.  A good friend recently sent me a quote from Irish poet and philosopher John O’Donohue that really struck home with me…
 
May the angels in their beauty bless you.
May an angel of awakening stir your heart.
May an angel of healing turn your wounds into sources of refreshment.
May an angel of compassion open your eyes to the unseen suffering around you.
And may the angel of death arrive only when your life is complete.
And you have brought every gift to the threshold where its infinity can shine.  

I sincerely believe I have met several of those Angels in my life so far.  I have been blessed to recover from my illness, and it has rekindled the passion I have to serve young people.  My wounds are healing and that does serve as a source of refreshment. Without question, I have developed even more compassion for those suffering from this disease around me and want to reach out to share a message of hope and strength for those who may be facing similar battles with health issues such as cancer. I wanted to share how important all of you have been in my journey as you have provided me the strength and courage I needed to "fight the fight".  Those precious connections with all of you have been a significant factor in my recovery over the past year.  That is part of the message of hope I wanted to communicate.  As for that last Angel… I’m not quite ready to meet him/her yet as I think I still have some gifts to share with others before my life becomes complete in God’s plan for me. 

As seems always the case in my life, when things get a bit tough, I experience something that brings me back in focus.  The past few months have been very challenging and I wanted to share an experience I had the other night at a Vocal Concert at school because it really picked up my spirits. I had a little guy approach me as I was handing out programs... He shared his name and that he was 8. I introduced myself and he said "I know who you are" because you and I both have had cancer.  He opened his shirt collar to show me his scars. He had suffered from lymphoma. Kind of took me by surprise… I asked how he was doing and we traded some "stories" when out of the blue he shared that his mom had shared with him my updates that had posted for students and staff during my treatments. He said those were "cool" and that he wants to be a Principal just like me... I choked up a bit, and once I regained my composure, I asked him to help me hand out programs and greet our Concert goers. He was quite a helper as he greeted many parents  who were asking who my good assistant was. I shared that he was my new “intern” who is a Principal in training!  His chest puffed out and he gave me a big grin. He then had to introduce me to his mom and brother who is a 7th grader here who was singing in the Concert. We had a good visit and he shared that in just 4 years, he will be a Holmes Tiger and then he can help me every day. I told him I will look forward to that!  I needed that boost given some of the other “stuff” going on, and I think it was my Guardian Angel, whom I affectionately refer to as Angelina, awakening my heart yet again.  I have always believed I have had a Guardian Angel, who has been quite busy in my life “covering my back”, especially the past couple of years. 

I’ve had a number of requests for my Journal which I have kept up throughout treatments, so I’ve put the information on a blog posting for easy reference.  I’ve listed that link below along with the link to my “story” for those who may choose to access it as well.  If there is one message I want to get to people, it is that when faced with a difficult situation like cancer, or for that matter any tough situation, it is so important to reach out to others for help and support.  The Lord is always there, but so are friends and family.  Be sure to access them.  I have also listed a link to one of my favorite artists, Tommy Emmanuel who plays my favorite song titled … Angelina.  I hope you enjoy it.  May God’s comfort and joy be with you and your family throughout the Holiday season!
Sincerely,
Dave


Link to: Reflections from the Home Team BLOG:
 Link to Youtube: Reflections from the "Home Team"... Go the Distance
                    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48dqzhPah4
                        Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP2ZapPoWtY
                    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaJ71v_lQ8

Link to Tommy Emmanuel and "Angelina":

No comments:

Post a Comment