Saturday, April 16, 2016



Reflections from the Home Team April 16, 2016


 The secret to life and the greatest success strategy of all is…
 “Love all of it and fear none of it!”

Greetings from Cedar Falls, 

I wanted to take a moment to share some thoughts with you today by reflecting in a little different way... As you know, I have always found it most comfortable to express my thoughts and emotions using baseball terminology, so here goes.
 
Many of my teammates during my baseball playing days said to me after their retirement from the game "Ride it till the wheels fall off Dave because once it's over it's over."  Well, my wheels may not be completely off, but there are a lot of miles on these tires, and the tread left on them is a bit thinner. My body just doesn't do what it used to do.  I've always said that if I couldn't perform to the level I'm accustomed to, then it was time to walk away...

Baseball (as life) is a game of failure that tends to be always followed by opportunity.

Baseball is also a microcosm for life. It teaches life lessons that I don't think any other profession could teach and from which I have drawn many parallels in my years in education. Baseball (as life) is also about the journey, not the destination.  And what an amazing journey it has been for me in my years in education!  Maybe for all of us, we have something to learn from the game by pushing aside the fear that can come from taking on challenges for fear of failure... a mindset that can help us all grow on our journey.

As the old adage says, “All good things must come to an end” so after 40 years in education as a teacher, coach, athletic director, and principal, I have made the decision to “hang up my cleats” and retire as Holmes Jr. High’s Principal at the end of this “contract season”. I have been BLESSED beyond measure. My cup has been filled with good times and good fortune.  I have chased many dreams for the past 40 years, allowing me to meet the most amazing cast of characters you could ever imagine, while also allowing me to experience lasting relationships that most people could only dream of.

I can honestly say that I worked hard, prepared, and always did my best to serve my students and staff to the best of my ability. I have great respect for the education profession and those in it, and have always tried to make school an engaging place to be while having as much fun as possible along the way. Even when life’s fortunes kicked me in the guts and brought me to my knees with cancer, I got back up when I was knocked down with the help of my faith, family, friends, my students and staff. I will always be able to look my two beautiful grand children in the eye one day and say, “Grandpa never gave in, and never gave up.” I can look in the mirror and know that I “played the game” the right way, leaving it all on the field, and have zero regrets.

Although I will dearly miss squaring up to the challenges facing us in the “business” of education today, what I will really miss are the little things. The relationships and stories (believe me, I’ve got a few) generated by working with my students, athletes and their parents over the years, as well as the many friendships I have developed with my colleagues, but what I will miss most of all is being a part of watching and impacting young people as they grow from being “wide eyed” seventh graders into caring and responsible young adults. Having been a part of that in so many lives has been so rewarding for me. It’s where I have felt most comfortable and free. It’s where I am at ease and at peace. I don’t know what could ever replace the feeling of being completely at home with young people while “at work.” To all my students, athletes and colleagues I have had the pleasure of “working” with and learning from over the years, it’s you who I will think of when I reflect on the past 40 years. It’s you who have filled my heart and soul with so many laughs and so much love. I just want you to know that I love you all.

I was once asked by a teammate early in my playing days, if I didn’t make it to the big leagues, would I consider my baseball playing days “all for naught?” Without hesitation, I said, “no way, it’s about the journey and those who were a part of it along the way!” In the same way, the journey and relationships I have experienced in my education career has been a “Big League” experience! I look forward to teaching the lessons I have learned to my grandchildren and using those same lessons in the next phase of my life’s journey and the many opportunities that will present as I continue to serve others. My focus will be on family and wellness. I plan to continue advocating for After School programming and education at the state and national levels, my scouting work with the Atlanta Braves, tending our family farm  as well as serving others in Cedar Falls helping keep this area the best place to raise and educate a family in the State of Iowa. I look forward to my next adventure. I’m not sure which direction God will lead me, but I trust His plan and am excited to see what the next chapter has in store for me. 

I will leave you with a thought from one of my favorite authors by the name of Jon Gordon. When writing one of his recent books, “The Carpenter” he talked about being filled with the fear that he would disappoint the people who had enjoyed reading his previous books… fear that people would say his best writing was behind him, fears that he would write a “piece of junk”. At that moment, he realized the antidote to fear is love. So instead of the fear of failing, he decided to focus on his love of writing, his love for the reader, and his desire to make a difference. From that moment on the book flowed. He wrote it in 2 1/2 weeks and discovered that if you focus on love, you will cast out fear.

I want to encourage each of you to do the same as you build your life, work, business, school, project or team with love instead of fear. Remind yourself that if you aren’t building it with love it won’t become all that it can be. Only through love will you create something special, magnificent and compelling. Only through love will you build a masterpiece.
So if you are trying to build a business, focus on the love you have of building it rather than the fear of losing it. If you work at a school, focus on loving your students instead of fearing all the new testing standards and mandates. If you are a young athlete, dancer, musician or artist, focus on your love of playing and performing instead of your fear of failing. Worrying about the outcome and what people think will steal your joy and sabotage your success but loving and appreciating the moment will energize you and enhance your performance. Love all of it!! 

Most of all, as you build with love, know that you will face many challenges and negative influences that can shift your focus back to fear if you let it. When this happens decide to LOVE ALL OF IT. When you love all of it you will fear none of it.
      Love the struggle because it makes you appreciate your accomplishments.
      Love challenges because they make you stronger.
      Love competition because it makes you better.
      Love negative people because they make you more positive.
      Love those who have hurt you because they teach you forgiveness.
      Love fear because it makes you courageous.

The secret to life and the greatest success strategy of all is to love all of it and fear none of it! Thanks to all for taking this journey with me. I am, and have been, TRULY blessed.
My love to all!

Sincerely, Dave

Colossians 3:23 





Link to: Reflections from the Home Team BLOG
http://reflectionsfromthehometeam.blogspot.com/

Link to Vimeo: Reflections from the "Home Team"... Go the Distance
http://vimeo.com/53873087
 
Link to: Tommy Emmanuel and "Angelina"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU



No comments:

Post a Comment