Monday, September 19, 2011

Reflections From the Home Team September 19, 2011

                     Reflections from the Home Team, September 19, 2011
                                                                


"Don’t complain, just work harder.  It was in his contract not to complain, even when the fans spit on him. You can spend it complaining or playing the game hard. The latter is likely to be more effective." Randy Pausch

Greetings to all from Cedar Falls...

Wanted to update everyone on my Journey which has had a few bumps in the road over the past month or so...  I have been dealing with the jaw pain that has been there for some time as well as more difficulty swallowing with some inflammation and soreness in my throat.  Has been pretty persistent and not improved.  Tricia won't acknowledge she has been punching me or choking me in my sleep, so I thought I'd better  get down to my doctors in Iowa City and have things checked.   After not improving for the past few weeks, my concern was that the cancer had returned, which has been part of my "roller coaster ride" since the spring of 2009.  Had a pretty thorough check in Iowa City with some "reconstruction work" done in my throat Friday, and just got the good news that the cancer has not returned.  Other than having a voice that sounds like Luca Brasi (of Godfather fame) and having a tender throat, I'm doing OK today  and I'm getting some energy back. 

This has been a hard few weeks with a pretty demanding schedule on top of the worries about what could be a recurrence... Dr. Chang was optimistic as always and that seems to be contagious.  I've had quite a bit of time to reflect on some things, and as usual, a message at my Church this past Sunday again helped put things in perspective.

A series called "Family Matters" has  been focusing on Genesis and Ephesians and the fact that God observed that "It is not good that man should be alone".  That is why He created and established the gifts of marriage, family and community in His image.  I have come to realize the importance of these gifts as they offer the hope and promise of restoration and new life no matter what the world around you or your family brings your way.  Even though cancer invaded my body in the spring of 2009, it will NEVER INVADE MY SOUL!  My family, friends and community have provided me with the support that has enabled me to make it thus far, and I truly appreciate the fact that "family", "friends" and "community" continue to shape and nurture my journey with cancer.  Each of you have been a special part of that journey, and I have sincerely appreciated your thoughts, conversation and prayers through out my two year journey. 

As Randy Pausch said in his book The Last Lecture while referring to Jackie Robinson, one of my favorite all time players...
"Don’t complain, just work harder.  It was in his contract not to complain, even when the fans spit on him. You can spend it complaining or playing the game hard. The latter is likely to be more effective."  I plan to continue to "play the game hard" no matter what cards are dealt in my hand and will continue to rely on those who are close to me for support along the way.  Thank God for family and friends such as you!


Sincerely, Dave


Link to: Reflections from the Home Team BLOG
http://reflectionsfromthehometeam.blogspot.com/

Link to Vimeo: Reflections from the "Home Team"... Go the Distance
http://vimeo.com/53873087


Link to: Tommy Emmanuel and "Angelina"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU

No comments:

Post a Comment